Shipping supplies, eh? Like who knew your childhood dreams of becoming a post(wo)man would come true!?
But running an online shop requires you to take on A LOT of jobs.
Since you’re busy managing logistics, supplies, inventory, ordering, marketing, sales, quality control, etc……….. etc……….! I wanted to put together a business toolkit that helps you navigate the small business resources and supplies you’ll need!
First up, let’s tackle shipping
*This post contains affiliate links, which means if you purchase an item I may earn a small commission at no additional charge to you. Thanks for supporting The Shop Files!
Your Small Business Toolkit: Shipping Supplies
Your least fun aspect of business, am I right?
Unless you’re in on the drop ship game, chances are you do a lot of shipping and post office visiting. (If you want to learn more about drop ship, take a look at Printful. Plus, I have a free passive income email course if you want to learn how to run part of your creative business on autopilot!)
So let’s make it a little less painful and get you started with some easy shipping supplies.
PROTECT YOUR GOODS:
- Small 6″x9″ Poly Mailer Envelope Bags, 100pk
- Medium 10″x13″ Poly Mailer Envelope Bags, 100pk
- 8″x10″ Cello Bags, 100pk to protect your art or prints
- Cute AF 3″x4″ Cotton Drawstring BagsBubble Wrap to protect
- Tissue Paper (could pick a color to match your branding + don’t forget to seal with a sticker logo or thank you call out)
Don’t forget! When packaging art or prints, include some stiff cardboard to keep the item flat and avoid any bending or torn corners.
PACK ‘EM UP:
- Heavy Duty Packaging Tape for dayz
- Until you can buy one of those amazing Crate & Barrel tape dispensers, this is a good option
- These Boxes to fit every shape + need (like this, or like that, or like this, or this cutie) USPS flat rate mailers and boxes can also be really economical, use a scale like this one to determine which would work for you)
- Stamps to tell the post office what to do (and not do) or go with the sticker that covers it all
- Save serious time, money, and headaches with this label printer
DRESS ‘EM UP:
- Kraft Paper Roll – perfect for like everything
- Natural Cotton Twine
- Pretty Twine – in grey, gold, and every color under the sun
- These gold or kraft paper thank you stickers
BRAND ‘EM PRETTY:
You should always include branding pieces or promotional offers in your packages! It’s your one physical touch point to wow your customer + leave her with a lasting impression of your brand.
How can you stand out from all the other packages she receives?
- Personalized thank you note (I love getting these!)
- Unexpected free gift
- Pretty packaging and wrapping, wow them with your “un-boxing” experience
Also consider a few actions she can take:
- Joining your email list, what incentive could you tell her about? (hint: I give you 8 ideas here!)
- Following you on social media
- Leaving a review
Materials you might include:
- Business cards or social media cards
- Stickers or stamps
- Custom packaging tape or tissue paper
- Larger note cards to share your story, like a brand mood board + personal story
If you’ll be making a lot of repeat purchases (and hopefully you are, cha-chiiing!); consider signing up for Amazon Prime. The benefits seriously are worth it. I fought my husband on it for a long time and now we use it for evvverything.
You can set up recurring purchases – so set it + forget it! (We love it for household things like toilet paper, paper towels, or dish soap. You know, basic things you hate buying at the store.) Plus that seriously fast + free shipping is a total game changer.
There’s a 30 day trial if you’re not ready to commit quite yet! Try it here.
Get the Secrets of a Buyer (shh, yes really!)
Join over 3,000 subscribers + receive actionable marketing tips you can easily implement - today!